Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sunday (Insert Toilet Humor here)

On Sunday James and I decided we were gonna head to JFK to meet our mutual friend, Tamil there. Tamil had a 9 hour layover, landing at 3pm and leaving again at midnight. JFK is actually a hard airport to get to from pretty much anywhere. That was disappointing to me. We ended up walking, then catching a bus, then a subway, then an AirTrain to get to JFK, for a total of $7. Once we got there we met up with Tamil and found his departing terminal and sat at a bar/restaurant talking until James had to leave for rehearsal. Tamil and I sat and talked a little longer, then I headed off to leave Tamil to check in and get ready for his flight.

I decide since I'm already deep in Queens, I might as well check out this Flushing, NY place I've heard about. The Chinatown there is the second largest in NY and arguably more authentic than the NYC Chinatown. I wander around a bit, and, feeling a bit peckish, look up a good Thai restaurant in Flushing and grab a bite to eat at Green Papaya. I had a masaman duck dish that was amazing. I'm tired and Flushing isn't really much to see getting towards night time so I decided to just call it a night and head home.


On my way home, however, I get a phone call from Tamil... Turns out he had read his itinerary wrong and the flight that he flies out on was to leave on Monday at 11:55pm, not Sunday at 11:55pm. Oops. So basically rather than spending 28 hrs at JFK (he's not Tom Hanks after all), I gave him detailed directions on getting to James' place from JFK and met him at James' subway stop. We then spend the rest of the night figuring out what Tamil wants to do in the city the next day since he'd never been to NYC before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home