Sunday, July 12, 2009

They Might Be... Kid-targetted?

Today was... less productive... but that's ok, it's Saturday! Leisurely woke up today and checked out some websites to see what was going on in NY this weekend. Turns out that the Shakespeare in the Park free show of Twelfth Night starring Anne Hathaway closes this weekend. I found out too late to actually try and get tickets (they start giving out the tickets at 1pm, but the lines start forming as early as 8am). So there was pretty much no way I'd be getting a ticket. I tried to get one online (they have a virtual line, but I'm sure it's very competitive), but wasn't able to get one. Oh well, I'll try for tomorrow's show and if it happens it happens.

I also found out that there was an Accordian festival in NY today. Free! Didn't go to that... but there was also a free Celebrate Brooklyn concert thing in Prospect Park featuring They Might Be Giants that opened at 4pm, so that was definitely a possibility. There was also some sort of Latin Alternative Music thing at the Summerstage in Central Park. So I decided to head out to Central Park and check that out and maybe check out the line to the Twelfth Night thing.

Got to the Park and was hungry so grabbed a couple hot dogs. Started walking towards the theatre, found the Summerstage, walked for a while then decided it wasn't worth it by then (3pm) so turned around and started heading towards the Summerstage. Random pics in Central Park at one the lakes and one of the lawns:



Got to Summerstage and found some standing room to check out the band. This was the Latin Alternative Music Conference featuring Eric Bobo. It was definitely "Alternative" all right. Didn't really dig it that much so stayed for like 30 min and left to start making the trek down to Brooklyn. Took the F all the way down and found Prospect Park pretty easily. Lots of kids around. Apparently They Might Be Giants is very family oriented now. Haven't heard any of their new music. Anyway, that was pretty enjoyable and at one point I had a really good view of the stage. Took some videos too, but my phone doesn't take very good videos so the sound quality is pretty bad. I only recognized two songs: Particle Man and Istanbul (which was the last song they played in their Encore).




After the concert finished, I took the F back up to 2nd Ave and checked out Cafe Habana. I'd been craving a cuban since Kool Korners went away. Pretty long line, but I waited and got my food (I ordered a cuban and corn-on-the-cobb Mexican style) and took it to Washington Square Park so I could eat comfortably instead of in the crowded restaurant. The cuban was good; maybe not as good as Kool Korners, but passable. The corn was awesome. Came with cheese on it and had some lime to squeeze on it too. So good. I didn't get a picture of it, but this is one I found on the Internet that it looked like. Then just chilled in the park watching some of the acts going on.



It started to rain just a tiny bit so I walked uptown and on the way stopped in a CVS to get an umbrella since I left mine in my car in Atlanta. Stopped raining so I walked all the way up to Times Square and people watched for a bit. Got tired though, so I went ahead and headed back to James' apt. Dunno what's in store for tomorrow but we'll see. I submitted for Twelfth Night tickets online and so did James so maybe one of us will luck out and get them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home